Originally home to the Canadian Birkbeck Investments and Savings Company, this building was built between 1908 and 1909, by architect George W. Gouinloc. The building is a fine example of Beaux Arts architecture and construction methods considered to be state of the art at the time. The building's fireproofed steel structure with terra cotta infill was no doubt a response to the Great Fire of 1904 that had devastated much of downtown Toronto.
Ontario Heritage Trust purchased it in 1985
Within the building are large beautiful spaces, such as "The Gallery" and The Birkbeck Room, which are often booked for business events, weddings, and other large gatherings.
The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario has it's provincial office within the building.